Dr. Mary L. Cook Day ~ October 1st, 2005
Dr. Mary L. Cook Day in Waynesville is declared
by Mayor Ernie Lawson on October 1, 2005 .
The proclamation is accepted by Dr. Mary's niece, Mildred Cook Powell.
with Mildred Cook Powell.
Dr. Mary L. Cook Day at the Library Named after Her
- Mildred C. Powell ~ Dr. Mary's adopted daughter (niece)
- Milly Powell ~ Dr. Mary's great niece
- Esther Powell ~ Dr. Mary's great niece
- Leah Ruth Powell Marcus ~ Dr. Mary's great niece
- David Marcus ~ husband of Leah Marcus
- Erica Kretzmann ~ Great grand niece
- Emily Marcus ~ Great grand niece
Family and friends of Dr. Mary shared stories about her while watching a presentation about her life. Linda Swartzel, director of the library, portrayed Dr. Cook and gave a presentation about medicine in 1908 when Dr. Mary graduated from medical school.
Other activities for children included a display of items dating from the turn of the 20th century. The children had to guess what the item was used for! They also had an opportunity to make old fashion toys.
See a story inspired by Dr. Mary's life, "The Restless Teacup" at:
Dr. MARY L. COOK DAY ~October 1st, 2005
The Mary L. Cook Public Library
Dr. Mary Leah Cook
The Mary L. Cook Public Library ~ 88 Years of Responsible Growth and Community Service
THE OHIOANA ROOM ~THE MARY L. COOK PUBLIC LIBRARY