The Hammell House & Other Early Taverns/Inns in Waynesville
- Early 1800s~log tavern on site of present day Hammel House owned by James Corey.
- 1807 ~ James Jennings, the brother of John Jennings who owned the grist mill (the "Upper Mill") in Waynesville, becomes the owner. In June 1807, David Faulkner deeded to James Jennings Wabash Square, lots No. 7, 8, 4, and the N. half of lot No. 6 for $350. Jennings built a frame house now there, about 1807 and opened a tavern in it. The house was run by Samuel Beck, Robert Way, Richard Cunningham.
- 1817 ~ James Jennings deeded the property, including lots No. 4, 7, 8, and parts of 3 and 6 to John Warrell for $600.
- 1822 ~ John Warrell built the brick part of the building, two stories high.
- 1831 ~ John Warrell sold the property and moved away.
- 1831~1837 ~ Innkeepers are men by the name of Keen, Barnhart & Durand. When John M. Keen bought the hotel in 1831 it was known as the "Union Hotel".
- 1837 ~ 1841 ~ The tavern was owned by Nathaniel McLean. Nathaniel was born in Morris Co., NJ, in 1787, and was a brother of the Hon. John McLean of the U.S. Supreme Court. Nathaniel had learned the printing business in Cincinnati. In 1810, he was elected a member of the Ohio Legislature, serving two or three sessions, and was an officer in the War of 1812. In the Spring of 1849, he move to St. Paul and embark on the newspaper business at the age of 60, although remarkably strong and active. Also, in 1849, he was appointed Sioux Agent at Fort Snelling, and in the fall of 1855, he was elected a Ramsey County Commissioner. He died of cancer in 1872.
- 1841 ~ The tavern is sold to Enoch Hammell in 1841. He kept a public house there from that date until about 1863, when it was sold and has since been used as a private dwelling. During the time Hammell owned it, he built the brick up to three stories.
- 1850 ~ Hammell looking for a buyer (see ads below)
- 1852 ~ Tavern leased to a Mr. Yeoman by Enoch Hammell.
- 1863 ~ The tavern becomes a private residence.
- 1901 ~ The tavern is bought by William O. & Ollie Casey Gustin, re-opened as the "Hotel Gustin"
- Sometime before 1934 ~ The building became a boarding house and then was converted into appartments. Sometime during the early 20th century, the third floor which had been added by Mr. Hammell.
- 1987 ~ The building was restored and re-established itself as a the Hammel House Inn and Bed & Breakfast.
There was always more than one tavern in the village of Waynesville. Another very early tavern was the "Holloway Tavern" on Third Street (1807). In 1810, David Hammell bought a lot in Miami Square he established a tavern. This tavern did not survive past 1824. The building later became known as the "Old Penitentiary." Another tavern was built on the northeast corner of North and North Main Street, known as the Miami House (also known as the Morrow House and the Cornell House), in 1826. In the 1880s it was named the Cornell House, owned by Samuel Cornell & Son. There was another tavern, a two story log building, located on the far north end of Main Street that continued until after the Civil War. It was built by Samuel Martin.
Consequently, there were originally three taverns/inns on the old Accommodation Stagecoach Line (Third Street):
On Main Street were four taverns/inns:
- The tavern built by David Hammell later known as the "Old Penitentiary" in Miami Square.
- The tavern on the Hammell House property
- The Old Miami House at the intersection of Main and North Streets
- Tavern built by Samuel Martin on North Main Street.
Also see, SOME HISTORICAL HOMES IN WAYNESVILLE for more information and pictures of the John Satterthwaite home, the Baily home and the Holloway Tavern.
Ad from the Miami-Visitor weekly newspaper, February 9, 1850