Burwell Goode ~ 1784-1851
Burwell Goode (1784-1851) came to Waynesville with his two brothers, Gaines and Phillip in 1805. The three brothers bought 1,586 acres of land in the Virginia Military District from the son of a Revolutionary War veteran, Clement Read. Burwell was a Warren County commissioner in 1824 to 1836. He married Elizabeth Smith (1787-1863), the daughter of Methodist minister, Rev. James Smith, in 1806 (Beer’s History). George S. Sale, in a remembrance written in 1905, recalls that Burwell Goode was also the Justice of the Peace. He was one of the original trustees of the Waynesville Academy. Burwell invited Methodists to meet at his house and eventually the two Methodist congregations, one that met at his mother–in-laws place, Elizabeth Smith’s, along the Little Miami River, and the one at the Goode house united in 1826 and a little church was built on Water Street. The Goodes had a family cemetery on their land. After 1833, Burwell deeded a small portion of his land to the Methodist Church that became its cemetery. Eventually this cemetery would evolve into the present Miami Cemetery (Waynesville’s First 200 Years, 1797-1997 [Copyright 1996, The Waynesville Historical Society, 1997], pp. 37-38). Burwell Goode and his wife Elizabeth are buried in Miami Cemetery in Corwin, Ohio (Section H).