Corwin, Ohio ~ Waynesville's Sister Village
Besides the depot and hotel, the village became the site of a coal yard owned by Seth Cook, Dr. Mary L. Cook's father. It had its own lumber yard, the W. H. Madden and Co. dealers in lumber. In 1904, the Waynesville Canning Company (see photograph below) was established in Corwin. It specialized in the canning of sweet corn. The endeavor was so successful that a second factory was built a year later in Yellow Springs, Ohio. The highly successful Hiram Kilbon general store and grocery were located directly on the tracks of the railroad. The Kilbon home was behind and attached to the store (see photograph to the upper left).
Corwin also had two grain elevators (left), a saw mill, a blacksmith shop, two water towers, stock yards, and its own Union Sunday School. Produce from all over the area was brought to Corwin to be stored, processed and shipped. Besides corn and grain, there was a booming business in tobacco and hogs as well. The Shakers of Union Village, three miles west of Lebanon, brought their stock to Corwin to be shipped out on the railroad. The train depot had a telegraph operator and Corwin received mail delivered by the train daily. At the turn of the 20th century, both Waynesville and Corwin were thriving merchant and farmers villages with a thriving industry packing sweet corn.
Below is another photograph of Corwin's Panhandle Hotel:
Below: Waynesville Canning Company in Corwin, Ohio
Waynesville can be seen on the ridge in the distance.